LinuxSampler  is a modular, streaming capable sampler. It was designed
decoupled from any user interface, that is as sampler backend which can be
controlled via network connection from an arbitrary place, using a custom,
ASCII based protocol called LSCP .
Focus of this first release was an adequate support of the Gigasampler format,
including experimental support for the new Gigasampler v3 format. For a
complete list what is already covered and what is not, check the features
* strong synthesis optimizations
* support for further sampler formats
* instrument database system
* implementation of further control interfaces like OSC 
* SMP and network cluster support
* as ports to other OSs are already on the pipe, maybe a new name :P
You might want to use QSampler  as convenient graphical frontend to
LinuxSampler. You can get everything from the downloads site .