Michael Yakshin announces KGuitar release 0.5 at last:
* Build system is refreshed (updated from current KDE SDK), obsolete
things removed, should compile smoothly on most boxes. TeTeX support
is not installed by default.
* Huge refactoring work inside KGuitar: greatly improved internal
architecture, modularized all import / export procedures, improved
* More KDE3 standartization: better and cleaner shell / KPart
separation, standartized UI, actions, KDE-based dialogs with standard
features and cleaner API, better support for BiDi interfaces, numerous
layout fixes in lots of windows.
* Pretty full-featured Guitar Pro 4 import support. Imports smoothly
most of the files I've tested it on, had some known problems with
percussion tracks, but generally comprehends almost all difficulties
in GP4 files and gracefully ignores them. More testing and patches are
* Improved song / track printing / display - now all tabulature /
notestaff rendering is maintained in single class and both displaying
and printing use the same codebase. It made possible displaying note
scores on screen while editing tabs - however, it requires Feta fonts
installed, as previously for printing. Check out the documentation for
* Chord dialog - added chord finder: you can enter pure text name of
chord in top chord name string, push one button and you'll get chord
diagrams, fingerings and other info instantly. Chord finder also
supplies a "Quick insert by name" button that makes entering something
like "Am / C / F / E" chord rhythm a breeze.
* Melody editor - got lots of improvements: added scales & modes
showing on fretboard, added more inlay/graphics options, working
action / advance functions that act as stated in options page.
* Song properties - added simple tempo support in song properties
dialog - that "initial tempo" was in file format for ages, but,
finally, it's user-editable.
* MIDI playback improvements - much better monitoring due to absolute
time values in MIDI events, fixed stuck notes after song stop, lost
patch/bank presets, etc. Added panic (shut down all notes) after stop
and tempo track support.
* Multiple usability fixes: more column duration actions, keyboard
combos to move cursor by 1 bar (currently bound to Ctrl+Left /
Ctrl+Right), chord dialog - better tab ordering, default pushbutton,
accelerators for non-default functions (Ctrl+Enter and Shift+Enter).
* Lots of other fixes: gcc3.4 compatibility, MusicXML DTD 0.7a
support, proper status bar handling, proper updates when pasting /
select all / delete track, fixed compile errors without TSE3,
selection of negative track bug, lots of display problems with
TrackPrint usage, mouse select handling bug, multiple memory leaks and
Now go to http://kguitar.sourceforge.net/ and download this awesome software.