Sat Jan 18 2003 -- Sweep 0.8.0 Released
Sweep is an audio editor and live playback tool for GNU/Linux, BSD and
compatible systems. It supports many music and voice formats including
WAV, AIFF, Ogg Vorbis, Speex and MP3, with multichannel editing and
LADSPA effects plugins. Inside lives a pesky little virtual stylus called
Scrubby who enjoys mixing around in your files.
This release is available as a source tarball at:
This is the first milestone release for Sweep 1. Please test it thoroughly
for both general sample editing and live performance. For more information,
see http://www.metadecks.org/ .
Sweep has been selected as the killer app of the month for January 2003 by
Open Sound System (OSS), developers of the most widely used digital audio
architecture for UNIX! (http://www.opensound.com/)
New in Sweep 0.8.0:
* a new monitoring subsystem for use in DJing and live performance.
Users with two sound cards can use headphones for monitoring, to
prepare mixes and cue samples without disrupting the main output.
* A usability bug was fixed in keyboard playback controls
* the Italian translation of the user interface was updated by
New at metadecks.org:
Notes for the tutorial "Using Sweep: Fun with Scrubby" are now
available online in HTML, PostScript and PDF formats at:
This is a brief overview of the tutorial given at linux.conf.au 2003
in Perth, Australia; the real thing is live and very, very loud.
Some interesting audio recordings of Scrubby are at:
Sweep is designed to be intuitive and to give you full control. It includes
almost everything you would expect in a sample editor, and then some:
* precise, vinyl like scrubbing
* looped, reverse, and pitch-controlled playback
* playback mixing of unlimited independent tracks
* looped and reverse recording
* multichannel and 32 bit floating point PCM file support
* support for Ogg Vorbis, MP3 and Speex compressed audio files
* sample rate conversion and channel operations
* LADSPA 1.1 effects support
* multiple views, discontinuous selections
* easy keybindings, mouse wheel zooming
* unlimited undo/redo with fully revertible edit history
* multithreaded background processing
* shaded peak/mean waveform rendering, multiple colour schemes
Sweep is Free Software, available under the GNU General Public License.
More information is available at:
Thanks to Pixar Animation Studios and CSIRO Australia for supporting the
development of this project.